A Day at the Museum

Today was insanely busy.

I got up, got David’s schoolwork lined up, and told him that when he was done with that we could leave for the natural science museum. Then I bundled the smaller two into the car. We ran a quick errand, grabbed breakfast on the go, and scrambled to get to Raphael’s speech therapy.

Speech therapy was my last true moment of peace and silence.

After speech, we ran a second quick errand, then hurried home. David had completed his school work, dressed, and packed water bottles and snacks for the trip to the museum. I cycled them through the bathroom, crammed everyone back into the car, and headed for the museum.

Five minutes later we turn around because I had forgotten a stroller. *sigh*

Stroller obtained, we ate pavement for the museum. We arrived and had approximately an hour to spend there before we had to head to the lab. So we went to the dinosaur exhibit, which Raphael has been begging to visit again for weeks now.

Raphael is terrified of the dinosaurs, the megalodon shark jaws, and generally anything bigger than a starfish. We had to carry him squawking past the Diplodocus, in spite of him being perfectly well aware that it was a plant eater. (Raphael knows the characteristics of all the dinosaurs better than anyone else in the family.) And he was outraged when I chose to go examine the biggest T Rex to see if it was a cast or real.

David and I had fun examining the dinosaurs and deciding which were real fossils and which were casts. We later encountered our favorite docent (the one who wanders around offering to let kids touch fossilized dino poop), and he was super impressed that we called them ‘casts’ and not ‘fakes’.

Megalodon jaw. From the back you can see the extra rows of teeth, waiting to replace any that fall out, which I think is extremely cool.

But then the fossils were done and we were out of time. Off to the lab!

At work, the facilities are doing something to the emergency power feed. This has required us to transfer all our -80C and -20C freezers that are currently on the emergency feed to go onto regular feed overnight. I rearranged my work week special to accomodate this. (And I’ll be heading in early tomorrow morning to oversee their restoration to the emergency power circuits.)

We arrived at the lab, I walked into my office with all three boys in tow to discover that the Surplus people had come and taken away all our chairs. Not the chairs that were specifically labeled as surplus. All the chairs. The office was chairless. Well. I got a handle on that, got the boys settled, got some files that I needed to work on at home transferred, and set about moving the freezers.

By the time the facilities guys came, I had all the freezers except the two enormous -80C freezers transferred. I can move those by myself, but I can really use a hand getting them out the door because it takes some maneuvering not unlike getting a large sofa up a small stairwell. But we got those moved, I made sure that everything was maintaining the correct temperatures, and then we headed back to the museum.

While I was moving freezers, I texted Himself and told him he was on his own for the evening. It turns out today was Thursday (I tend to lose track) and on Thursday the Children’s Museum has free admission from 5pm to 8pm. It’s rather expensive, as musuems go, and not as interesting to everyone, so we don’t go much. But since we were in the area at the time free admission started why not? Himself could really use a quiet evening on his own.

Dinner was had and then we spent the last 45 mintues the museum was open walking through the new Weiss Hall of Energy, which was amazing. It’s very kid friendly too, lots of hands on activities. We had just found the pipeline pig race (pipeline pigs are used to clean a pipeline between loads of different substances) when it hit closing time. We’ll have to go back another day to finish exploring.

Then we walked over to the Children’s Museum, which is only half a mile, and I hate parking there anyway, so why move the car. My big two children promptly vanished into the melee, with Raphael occasionally remerging to beg for ice cream.

Eventually I gave in and opted to spend the last hour of our evening at Amy’s, eating an indecent amount of ice cream. And by the time we got home, they were all asleep.

So. It was insane. But it was a good good day.

This entry was posted in Historical Record and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s