So, the only reason I’m still up is that I’m a little wired from licking the bowl after frosting my birthday cake. Because it is 11 at night, I just smeared most of the buttercream on the (lopsidedly risen) cake and called it a night. But the sugar rush is keeping me up so I figure I’ll just do my five favorites and I won’t need to clutter up an already busy birthday blogging.
I bake and frost my own birthday cakes because I’m a traditionalist. And birthdays mean boxed devil food cakes with cheap homemade buttercream. I’m the birthday cake baker/froster. If I don’t do it, it doesn’t happen. And my family has a severe shortage of birthdays. That equals a severe shortage of birthday cake. And we can’t have that.
So, here are my five favorite things about being 33.
1. I’ve finally come of age*. Sadly, my life is too busy to accommodate big parties right now, or I would have thrown myself a Hobbit party in a spilt second.
2. I’m finally old enough that getting a bottle of whiskey for my birthday isn’t disturbing. Also, I’m not pregnant. So I can enjoy it.
3. …apparently two favorite things about my birthday are all I can think up. Maybe my birthday cake at the lab won’t be raisin infested carrot cake again this year? A girl can dream.
This isn’t all surprising. I hate being the specific focus of attention of a large group. I even tried telling our administrator that I gave my birthday up for Lent to get out of the party. When she said Lent was over, I retorted that we aren’t supposed to resume the bad habits we gave up. But she didn’t buy it.
For that, I probably deserve the nasty carrot cake.
4. Oh, I’m having lunch with Flycat tomorrow. That’s definitely a favorite thing.
5. Now I’m really out. So check out my freshly relined and remodeled purse (which matches my pretty yellow ballet flats to perfection) instead.
I’ll blog about the purse later. I’m really, really pleased with its transformation. Before I ripped it to pieces, the only thing it had going for it was its color.
* The next significant birthday after 33 is 42. There WILL be a big themed party that year. Two, even. Our birthdays are even on weekends in 2022.