1. I'm hauling myself away midbabymoon from my postpartum triad of nursing, watching Bones, and knitting to write these takes. Lucky you!
Actually, I've only succeeded in hauling myself off the Netflix app because I've run out of Bones to watch – Season 8 isn't up yet. I've also run through both seasons of the Justice League and have moved on to Batman Beyond. Sadly, the excellent New Adventures of Batman/Superman aren't on either Netflix or Amazon Prime streaming.
I'm going to need something else to watch while knitting/nursing soon, though. So stick your recommendations in the comments!
2. NinjaBaby is just a marvellous baby. He'll take a pacifier. He'll nurse with a blanket covering him. He likes tummy time. And I can even put him down in the bassinet or baby launcher and he'll sleep or sit quietly looking around. On good nights, he'll sleep a solid 3-4 hours.
And he's really, screamingly adorable. We all spend a lot of time just snuggling him.
But when he fusses…! Wednesday he decided to melt down in the middle of the grocery store and I wound up finishing my shopping while simultaneously nursing.
Oh and, just like his brother, he's already gained a pound. Oof.
3. The good news is I'm cruising along quite nicely on my cardigan. I'm four rows into the hood and have one sleeve left. The bad news is that, in spite of careful and deliberately generous calculations and the ordering of an additional skein on top of it all, I think I'll still end up a skein short! I've even unraveled my gauge swatch, in the hopes that those extra 10 grams of yarn will make all the difference.
Ordering more yarn won't be that bad, I hope. Even if I end up with a different dye lot, I can probably blend it in by switching lots every row or so. I'm just chapped that I'll pay twice in shipping the cost of just the yarn… unless I can pad the order out to reach free shipping again. Which is tempting, but naughty.
4. It is crazy how good I've felt these last two weeks though. My OB was as good as her word and sent me home a mere 47 hours post surgery and I've felt so good that I have to be deliberately careful not to overstrain my poor abs. (Thus my unusually heavy consumption of television.) I literally haven't felt this good in 9 months. It's a rather irritating division of misery, actually, being almost useless for nine months followed by shaking off major surgery like this.
On the other hand, it's rather startling to realize how miserable I actually was the whole pregnancy. I felt the whole time like I was just being a hysterical wuss.
5. I'm terribly behind catching up replying to comments, emails, etc. This baby really caught us all by surprise, and even during my two weeks of resting, I've been doing enough chores to give my discharge nurse an aneurysm. And before he showed up, I really wasn't up for much besides struggling through my work week and resting.
But I'm back now, and hope to catch up with it all in short order.
6. The baptism is in ten days. I've called our parish to update them with our surprise boy, his real name, and his birthday. So all I have to do now is wash the baptism gown and make sure we have a place for Mad Mo and her husband to sleep.
It's all very different from GeekBaby's baptism, where I was up most of the night before finishing the embroidery before driving a hundred miles to the church Himself and I were married in for Mad Mo's husband to baptize him – it was the only way we could get him baptized before he was six months old. This one seems to be going much more smoothly, thanks to a variety of factors (including not needing the baptism to be on a Saturday this time).
7. …I'm sure there have been other fun/neat/hysterical things that have happened in the last two weeks. But I can't remember them. Thanks, baby-brain.
Oh! GeekBaby watched all of the Justice League cartoons with me. And now he's disgusted that:
- his Fisher Price Little People Green Lantern is Hal Jordan instead of John Stewart
- he's missing Hawkgirl, Flash, and the Martian Manhunter
For more Quick Takes, visit Jen @ Conversion Diary.