Please excuse the mess, we’re remodeling. Everything should at least be readable.
1. On Monday, poor GeekBaby ran smack into the barbecue grill and burned his arm. After a couple hours of crying, we realized the main issue was that he wanted to go back outside, but thought he was in trouble. Back outside he went, and has been happy as a clam ever since.
Since the burn ended up being worse than it looked initially, today I took him to the pediatrician to have it checked out. It’s healing up nicely, thank God. But he’s going to have his arm bandaged and take sponge baths for a few weeks.
2. I now have a deep desire to see a Muppet Show skit starring Gonzo and John C. Wright trying to out-gonzo each other. It would be hysterical. This randomness has been brought to you courtesy of an accidental comment by Michael Flynn.
3. Also, now I know why Gonzo is so named.
4. Is there something… unorthodox about Tomie dePaolo’s religious picture books? One would think our local Catholic bookstore would be delighted to stock them, but they don’t. I’m rather disappointed, and was wondering if there was any particular reason. I would think they’d jump at the chance to stock picture books that aren’t vaguely creepy.
5. Last night my son came downstairs to me and said, “Mommy, can we go upstairs and sing Compwine?” I melted. We’re two weeks in to the great chant experiment now, and we’ve improved remarkably, but I think we’d all feel better about it if we could hear what it’s supposed to sound like.
6. In happier Monday news, there was a breakthrough in key lime pie technology. I made the best darn key lime pie I’ve ever tasted. And I made fantastic key lime pie before the breakthrough. Expect the recipe soon at Om Nom Nom…!
I was talking about the pie to one of our summer students, and she asked if I made my own crust. I was very restrained. I did not rant about how eating store bought pie crust is an insult to one’s innate human dignity. But really, how hard is a crumb crust to make that there’s a market for pre made ones? Mix crumbs and melted butter and any flavorings, bake, cool. It’s so easy a child could do it. As things stand now, GeekBaby claims the graham cracker crushing as his job and gets majorly bent out of shape if he doesn’t get to do it. Eventually he’s going to edge me out of the kitchen entirely. At that point I am going to kick back with a glass of lemonade and enjoy myself.
7. All that microscope work I did the last couple of weeks? Major payoff. A random observation I made in the cell culture microscope months ago is now a measurable phenotypic difference between out wildtype and knockout mice. Squee!
More 7 Quick Takes can be found at Conversion Diary.